Manchester United winger Antony could be handed his first World Cup start for Brazil when they face Cameroon on Friday evening, after Liverpool midfielder Fabinho revealed that national team coach Tite is set to make a handful of changes.
Antony missed out on United’s final three Premier League games against West Ham, Aston Villa and Fulham through injury, but the former Ajax man recovered in time to achieve his dream of playing for Brazil at the World Cup. The 22-year-old has had to battle against illness while in Qatar, but could now be about to line-up for his South American side for their final group stage match.
Fellow Red Casemiro stole the headlines during Brazil’s last game against Switzerland, as he scored with a searing outside-of-the-foot strike in the 83rd minute to claim all three points. The result meant that Tite’s side have already qualified for the round of 16 with a game to spare.
And now it seems as if the 61-year-old is set to take advantage of their confirmed status in the round of 16, as Fabinho revealed the Selecao coach’s plan for the Cameroon fixture.
The Liverpool midfielder said: “Tite had already told us after the game against Switzerland that he intended to make changes in the line-up. He said he wanted everyone to play and we are happy with that decision.”
Antony recently opened up about his struggle with illness during the tournament, as he reiterated his commitment to the cause should he be called upon.
He said: “It was a bit difficult. I ended up having a bad feeling there for a few days that complicated me a bit. I’m recovering well and getting 100 per cent. It was more of a sickness, [the] throat – it was the air conditioning.