- Barcelona are reportedly determined to sign Manchester United defender Diogo Dalot during next summer’s transfer window.
- The 23-year-old became Man United’s first-choice right-back when Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was sacked as head coach last November, with Ralf Rangnick picking the Portugal international over Aaron Wan-Bissaka.
- Dalot has kept hold of his starting spot during the 2022-23 campaign, with the defender already making 10 appearances this term, contributing two assists in the process
- There is currently uncertainty surrounding the Portuguese’s future at Old Trafford, though, as his current deal with the 20-time English champions is due to expire next June.
- Man United do have the option of activating a one-year extension and that is expected to be the case in order to allow them to make a final decision when it comes to a potential new deal.
- Barcelona were credited with an interest in Dalot over the summer, with the Catalan outfit looking to sign a new right-sided defender, but the club ultimately re-signed Hector Bellerin.
- Xavi‘s side are said to be keen to bring in a long-term solution at right-back next summer, though, and according to Sport, Dalot has been identified as the club’s leading target.
- The report claims that Barcelona have already been in contact with Dalot’s representatives to discuss the possibility of a move during next summer’s transfer window.
- Man United are allegedly determined to keep hold of the defender but could consider offers of €25m (£22m) if they are unable to sign him to a new long-term deal.
- Dalot came through the youth system at Porto and represented the Portuguese giants on eight occasions before joining the Red Devils in 2018.
The defender spent the 2020-21 campaign on loan at AC Milan after struggling for action at Old Trafford, featuring on 33 occasions for the Italian giants.
Dalot scored twice for Portugal during their recent UEFA Nations League contest with the Czech Republic, and he is widely expected to be in their squad for the 2022 World Cup.
The right-back has started all seven of Man United’s Premier League matches this season, in addition to their three Europa League games with Real Sociedad, Sheriff Tiraspol and Omonia.
Barcelona were believed to be determined to sign Chelsea’s Cesar Azpilicueta to boost their right-back options for this season, but the club ultimately moved for Bellerin after allowing Sergino Dest to leave on loan.
Man United are also currently short in that area of the field, with Wan-Bissaka on the sidelines through injury, while Brandon Williams, who can also play at right-back, remains out with a long-term issue.
- Click here for more stories about Manchester United